Newsletters and Email Tracking
- Choosing an email tracking system
- assessing your priorities
- getting best use from the data collected
- staying within the spam laws
This helpsheet is a series of questions that are designed to help you understand the various options wen setting up a system to send emails. The answers have to come from you, however most of the questions are easy to answer if you have a clear idea of what you are trying to achieve.
Q1 Do you want a hosted service, a hosted system, a stand alone system?
- A hosted service is a server, somewhere in a data centre that you rent a part of.
- A hosted system is a server that you own, but hosted in a data centre.
- A stand alone system may be an application on a local machine that pumps out the mail (not recommended!)
Q2 Do you need a system that is integrated into your other systems?
- where does it get the recipient email addresses from
- where does any unsubscribe and bounce information go, and how is this information managed (or does it only sit within the mail system)
- do you need any information transferred back to your back office systems
Q3 Is it illegal? Immoral? Or worse still…SPAM!
- are all the recipients from opt-in lists
- who is responsible for ensuring that the sending SMTP server is not blacklisted
Q4 Who gets the email?
- everyone in your database (that has not unsubscribed)
- do you need to select subsets to target specific information at them
- do you need to send a sequence of emails as a result of someone subscribing
Q5 What do you need to track when sending the mail?
- how many mails were sent, and to whom
- who opened the mail
- who clicked on particular links in the email
- who bought something as a result of the mail
- who unsubscribed, and from which email they did so
- do you want this information put back into your CRM system
Q6 What is the content of the mail?
- is it HTML or plain text
- how big is the mail (in kb)
- are pictures included in the mail, or hosted on a web server somewhere
- do you need to do a mail merge to enter Surname, Forename etc…
Q7 How important is the timing of the emails?
- does the first one of the batch have to go out within 20 mins of the last one
- could the mails be spread evenly over the month – one every 43 seconds
- does it have to be sent during working hours
- do you want them only sent on Tuesdays and Wednesdays as these are more likely to get a response